Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Five-year-olds in office

So, today on the news, we have this:

Iranian newspapers seek cartoonists to draw them some Holocaust cartoons.

They say they want to see if the West will apply our free speech principles to that.

That's really the entire article right there, summed up into two lines that make me want to slam my head off the desk. I just love it when international politics devolves into five-year-olds fighting on the playground. "You made fun of my favorite religious figure, so I'm gonna write on your locker with crayons!"

One of my favorite parts: they encourage foreign cartoonists to apply.

It's so juvenile! Or maybe it's just another manifestation of Ahmadinejad's anti-Semitic hangup. Probably both. A juvenile genocidal hangup. Go ahead. Why not publish Holocaust cartoons? It's not as if Arab papers don't do it every week anyway. They're just screaming louder about it this time.

No comments: